Tag Archives: Who can study in the US

Study in the US


Who Can Study in the US?

International students are welcomed to the U.S. for the purpose of studying by the options of F1 or M1 visa. Those are nonimmigrant visas, allow students attend a full-time academic course (F1 visa) or full-time vocational course (M1 visa), and must leave when the program completes. Schools who have authorization to accept international students must be approved by Student and Exchange Visitors Program or Immigration and Customs Enforcement to become designated institution. Students are able to accompany dependents under F2 or M2 visa. However, dependents of the holder visa F1 or M1 must prove their independent financial that they are able to cover their life without support of the holders because students are not allowed to work off campus.

General Requirements for F1 and M1 Visa

For both F1 and M1 visa, there are few similar and different requirements for international students to be eligible, such as

English Conditions:

You must be fluent 4 skills of English to be able attend the class. Or you register in a course to learn English.

Designated School:

F1 M1
· University or college

· High school

· Private elementary school

· Seminary

· Conservatory

· Another academic institution, including a language training program

Nonacademic or vocational program such as training or trade course but not language traning, which described as:

– 18 hours a week

– full-time tuition

When graduation, you will receive one of those:

· degree

· diploma

· certificate

Financial Support:

The trick to stand out your application to be accepted into a designated school and to be granted a F1 visa, you should prove your sufficient financial support that is enough to pay tuition and cover life expenses.

Leave the Country when the Course Completes:

As an nonimmigrant visa, it is important for you to prove your unintended staying permanently after finishing the course. So, proof of your strong ties to home country is another trick, show the officer your residence abroad with:

  • Employment opportunity, for example job offer back home
  • Owner of proprieties, assets…
  • Family hardship, for example your sick parents or children …

Documents You Need

Before arriving at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, check the list below:

  1. Form I-20A-B (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students) orForm I-20M-N (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status for Vocational Students).
  2. A SEVIS generated Form, I-20.Those forms are issued by designated school for international students to apply for F1 or M1 visa.
  3. DS-160 (Online application for a nonimmigrant visa)
  4. A valid passport to travel to the United States and with a validity date at least 6 months beyond your intended period of stay in the U.S.
  5. Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended
  6. A financial statement
  7. Receipt of application fee. This kind of fee is non-refundable.
  8. Photos. Your photos must be qualified under rules of photo examination.

Interview and Processing Time

Students from the age of 14 to 79 years old are required to schedule an interview. If your application is approved, your visa will be issued 120 days before the start date. And you are not allowed to entry the U.S. earlier than 30 days before the commence of your course.


F1 Visa:

Although F1 visa does not allow students to work after school, after first year, students are able to work in 3 streams with proper permission. 3 types of employment are:

  1. Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  2. Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pre-completion or post-completion)
  3. Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT)

M1 Visa:

If you are M1 student, after completing your studies, you can take part in a practical training.

For both categories, students are asked to work or trained in related fields of studies

Contact Akrami & Associates

If you are Canadian citizen, your procedure is simpler. Give us a call and learn more information. If you are from other countries and desire to discover new experiences of studies in the U.S., we can help you however hard your situation is. Contact us soon to solve your case today.

With Akrami & Associates There is Always a Way!!