A TN visa allows you to work in the U.S. temporarily. But there are restrictions to obtaining a TN visa.
What are the steps to obtaining a TN visa?
- You must have Canadian or Mexican citizenship
- The position must be under the NAFTA list of occupations
- You must be employed under an American employer
- The position should be arranged from before (either part-time or full-time)
- The position requires a NAFTA professional
- And you must fulfill the criteria that is associated with the profession
You will be eligible for a TN visa if all of these requirements are met. One of the advantages of a TN visa is it is approved quicker. But there are steps involved and they will be outlined in better detail below.
Do Canadian citizens require a TN visa?
A TN visa is not required for a Canadian citizen. The next step for if you are a Canadian citizen, you would go to a U.S. port of entry at a CBP (Custom and Border Protection). There you will show your documentation. In addition your employer can petition for you on your behalf by filling out “Form 1-129” to the USCIS. If approved, then show approval notice to the CBP officer.
What documents do I need to show CBP officer as a Canadian citizen?
- Proof of Canadian citizenship
- A letter from your U.S. employer that states the professional capacities in which you will work there (i.e. the purpose of the job, how long you’ll work there, the term, etc.).
- Credentials evaluation
Do my spouse and children require a TN visa?
If you have a spouse and children who are single and under the age of 21, they will require a TN visa. You must show proof of their citizenship as well as your relationship to them (i.e. marriage certificate and birth certificate). They will be in admitted in as TD non-immigrant status. Your spouse will not be permitted to work but she and your children can study while there.
I am a Mexican citizen do I need a TN visa?
If you are a Mexican citizen you will need to apply for a TN visa. Once received you will go to a U.S port of entry and show the appropriate documentation to the CBP officer. In addition you will need to provide proof that you plan on returning once your term is over and will maintain your TN non-immigrant status. If one of your TD dependents decides to travel after approval of extension and expiration, then they would need to re-apply for a TD visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy.
How to submit a TN application?
There are several steps you need to take in order to apply or a TN visa. You must first begin by completing an online Non-immigrant Visa Application and you submit a photo online. That is the first step you need to take if you want to get a TN visa.
Schedule an Interview
This is the next step that needs to be taken. Interviews are usually not required for anyone 13 and younger or 80 and older, but it is up to the discretion of the officer reviewing your case to decide whether they would like an interview or not. If you fall within the 14-79 age groups, you must schedule an appointment for your visa interview, which is usually at the US Embassy or Consulate in the country where you are residing in at the time.
Preparing for your Interview
The application fee is $160, which is a non-refundable application fee and you are required to pay it before your interview begins.
What documents do I need for TN visa?
Next, you would have to gather all the required documentation that is needed for your visa interview. The documents are as listed:
- A valid passport to travel to the United States, and it must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United states,
- Non-immigrant Visa Application, confirmation form,
- Application fee payment receipt, which you are required to pay and bring proof of that to the interview,
- Photo, when you uploaded the photo online but it did not work, you must bring a copy to the interview,
- A contract or letter of employment in the United States to show that you have a job offer, there are certain requirements that must be included in the letter, and
- Documentation that proves you have met the minimum education and/or work experience that is required for the job, there are specific documents that may be submitted to demonstrate these. There may be additional documents that might be required to help establish if you are qualified. Sometimes proof of a license for your given profession is not required, but should be brought into considered to bring along, just in case you are accepted into the US. You may need that licensure to practice a given profession. Your spouse and children may apply for TN visas to accompany you to the United States or join you later. You need to be able to prove your ability to financially support your family when you are in the US.
Attend your Visa Interview
During your interview with the officer, they will determine whether you are qualified to receive a visa and if so, which visa category you qualify for based on your purpose of travel.
Contact Akrami & Associates
As you can tell, there are a lot of steps that need to be taken to move your TN visa application along and many documents are required for the interview. Allow our legal professionals to answer any questions or comments you may have or to help you given compiling your application package for your interview. Do not hesitate to contact us at 416-477-2545 or call our toll free number at 1-877-820-7121