Posts Tagged ‘TN Visa’
If you want to travel to the U.S. temporarily to work, then the TN visa is for you. The TN visa allows you to work in the U.S. for a 3 year term that can be extended over and over. You can apply for a TN visa at a port of entry if you are Canadian but if you are Mexican you will need to apply at a U.S. Embassy or consulate from Mexico.
The documentation you must provide include:
- Identification (i.e. passport or citizenship card)
- Your relationship to your spouse and children (i.e. you can show your marriage certificate and your children’s birth certificate)
- Your worker agreement with your employer
- Bringing your resume along with references is recommended
- The job offer that states your job, the conditions in which you will work in
- The job for which you’ll work must be enough to maintain your family
Your job also must meet the requirements of the TN visa:
As a NAFTA professional you are allowed to bring your family members who can be your spouse and children who are under 21 years of age and single. You cannot bring your parents or siblings. They would be classified as TD dependents. You must provide proof of your relationship with them to the CBP officer at a U.S. port of entry. This proof can be your marriage and birth certificates.
Your spouse and children under 21 years of age will not be allowed to work during the duration of their stay. But your children will be allowed to study while there.
To seek an extension of staying, you must seek an extension of staying. But you must provide an intention of returning in the future though. This will also permit any TD dependent who wishes to extend their stay to do so.
- The employer must be American
- You must work under the American employer
- Recognized under NAFTA
- You must qualify for the job
- The job must require a NAFTA professional
- And must be pre-arranged to be part-time or full-time
Contact Akrami & Associates
It would be beneficial to seek the help of a legal adviser because they can help you to make a strong application with the appropriate documentation and this can further increase your chances of getting the TN visa and to be working in the U.S.
Steps to TN Visa Application
There are several steps you need to take in order to apply or a TN visa. You must first begin by completing an online Non-immigrant Visa Application and you submit a photo online. That is the first step you need to take if you want to get a TN visa.
Schedule an Interview
This is the next step that needs to be taken. Interviews are usually not required for anyone 13 and younger or 80 and older, but it is up to the discretion of the officer reviewing your case to decide whether they would like an interview or not. If you fall within the 14-79 age groups, you must schedule an appointment for your visa interview, which is usually at the US Embassy or Consulate in the country where you are residing in at the time.
Preparing for your Interview
The application fee is $160, which is a non-refundable application fee and you are required to pay it before your interview begins.
Next, you would have to gather all the required documentation that Is needed for your visa interview. The documents are as listed:
- A valid passport to travel to the United States, and it must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United states,
- Non-immigrant Visa Application, confirmation form,
- Application fee payment receipt, which you are required to pay and bring proof of that to the interview,
- Photo, when you uploaded the photo online but it did not work, you must bring a copy to the interview,
- A contract or letter of employment in the United States to show that you have a job offer, there are certain requirements that must be included in the letter, and
- Documentation that proves you have met the minimum education and/or work experience that is required for the job, there are specific documents that may be submitted to demonstrate these.There may be additional documents that might be required to help establish if you are qualified. Sometimes proof of a license for your given profession is not required, but should be brought into considered to bring along, just in case you are accepted into the US. You may need that licensure to practice a given profession.Your spouse and children may apply for TD visas to accompany you to the United States or join you later. You need to be able to prove your ability to financially support your family when you are in the US.
Attend your Visa Interview
During your interview with the officer, they will determine whether you are qualified to receive a visa and if so, which visa category you qualify for based on your purpose of travel.
As you can tell, there are a lot of steps that need to be taken to move your TN visa application along and many documents are required for the interview. Allow our legal professionals to answer any questions or comments you may have or to help you given compiling your application package for your interview. Do not hesitate to contact us.